Sunday, July 25, 2010

Feel-Goods


I heard the 4-wheeler from the trail before entering the open area called Flat Rock. Expecting a teenager, I stayed in the shadows. What emerged was a bald old man smoking a cigarette, followed by an old Collie. I came forward and greeted him, and began to listen to a fascinating story. He is the landowner of Flat Rock, 75 years old, still working for a national company with a large presence in town, and he was there for maintenance: dropping off corn and taking back memory cards for several deer cams. He even had a camera hooked up to a cell phone to alert him if anybody strayed off-trail or tried to camp without his permission. He is a gentleman farmer, loves the outdoors, Flat Rock is his pride and joy and his hunting ground. He showed me pictures and talked about the variety of wildlife there. I mentioned my own backyard full of wildlife that I feed. I hope I'm enjoying the outdoors when I'm his age and afterwards. I made a new friend in Burt. He made my day. He made me feel good.

This was my long-hike day, and I do Flat Rock a few times a year. The way I did it yesterday was in a 13-mile, 2400-climb-feet, 7-hour version. Solo. In 100 degrees. I enjoyed Miss Kitty's beignets for lunch on-trail, and sucked my 100-oz bladder dry (with lots of pre- and post-hike hydration too). My feet were sore, but I enjoy that trophy as I enjoy the suffering of a steep climb. It feels good to be able to accomplish these hikes... or rides or gym work.

There are many ways to feel good about yourself. I have a few of my own... meeting a like-minded and tough-but-nice guy or gal is one of them. Not just Burt yesterday, but Dawn on the way to Maine and Marcia returning. I also immensely relish my long-time good friends. Of course, it also feels good when contributing and helping, at work and elsewhere.


Trail signs can be reassuring (a blaze, that you're still on-trail) or feel-goods ("Caution: Dangerous Descent." Yeah, right). So, some signs are the feel-good equivalent of complements, which I enjoy receiving and try to dispense regularly but honestly. Having regular birthday cake celebrations are one way of giving scheduled feel-goods, and there are many other techniques. Contributing includes being good to others, which is key to a good life.

Ooops, time flies. I'd better get ready to go enjoy this great hot weather... outdoors.


- © 2010 by Willy

No comments: