Monday, January 21, 2013

The Resolutions


"Does this work like the other one?" I heard the young husband ask his wife, pointing to the treadmill next to me at the gym. In front of me, a white haired old man was sweating heavily on the elliptic. Another White Hair was next to him, briefly standing on the pedals on a bike. A younger honey was running at the end. All these people were new. Last Saturday's step class was full... every step was taken. The gym has been full of new faces and new bodies: The Resolutions are here. Good for them. They give me a smile. I hope they stay, but few do. They are usually gone by March.

Every one of us has his or her own fitness level, and it does not matter what it is as long as we're trying, as long as we're exercising. Of course, this thinking will not win any races, but over-training days are over for me. I'm in the "don't risk injury" stage of life, or maybe it's "lift today so as to lift tomorrow" stage. I suspect that injuries are a big reason why most Resolutions drop out.

Another contribution to the dropout rate is boredom. To fight that, we use an mp3 player, watch TV, take classes, and hike and bike outside. Also, change exercises, machines or profiles fairly often.

Resolutions often ask how much exercise will show results. I have seen studies that say 10 minutes will do it (it's better than nothing). I don't believe in a minimum but rather a maximum: I exercise as much as I can, just not at a high intensity. Google this.

Again, self-motivation is key. A good alternative is classes but it's best to have a partner... or even a coach or personal trainer. Some of us need a strong hand.

Everyone is different. Be different and find your own level. Hike your own hike. Live your own life.


- © 2013 by Willy

No comments: