Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Road Most Traveled


Spring's here! I can tell because women are wearing open-toed sandals, and because there are mountainbikers on the trails.

I love early spring. Women, birds and critters are cute, open-toed or otherwise. Mountainbikers crush last fall's dry leaves to powder, and get rid of spider webs to boot. Creeks fill up, the air is fresh, the sun gets stronger and the views are scenic. It's my favorite time of year for hiking, and I look forward enthusiastically to my early Sunday morning hikes. Eventually, as the temps get higher, I'll switch to cycling on Sundays and begin bicycle commuting weekdays.

Today, I did my favorite hike for the first time this season. My own 2-hour, 6-mile, Walden. The 700 ft climb is gradual, the path is well-maintained and wildlife abundant (huge buck crossed yards away), and the world is serene and quiet. My thoughts were mine. It can't get any better than this.

This is my road most traveled.

- © 2008 by Willy

P.S. This machine's working better!
.

No comments: