Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Walk In The Woods


Henry David Thoreau walked in the woods to attain a higher understanding of life. He thus developed a reverence for all living things, and one of his definitions of happiness.

There are many variations of happiness, just like there are many reasons for a walk in the woods... as many as opinions as to why we're here.

Since I was a kid, I've enjoyed walking in the woods by myself simply because I'm happy being in the woods by myself. There is no ulterior motive in it... although there's something to the appreciation of a hot shower and dry bed after a week's worth.

Solitude in the woods gives me the control to think, observe and hear at my own pace... as compared to incessant jabber. At my own pace I can stop and take a wildflower picture, watch the butterflies or listen to the birds.

It lets me daydream or run thought exercises, as Einstein called them, to help myself and contribute to others.

A walk in the woods makes me happy, and I find happiness an excellent healer.

Indeed the woods are lovely, dark and deep, Mr. Frost.


- © 2008 by Willy

No comments: