Saturday, October 25, 2008

Accidents and Injuries


Like the bumper sticker says on redneck pickup trucks, Shit Happens. It happened to my good friend Dave today... during a group ride on a gorgeous, sunny day. At the end of a long descent, he turned right from a 4-lane into a small road and collided with a vehicle that was moving slowly or perhaps stopped. He's in the hospital with a bruised lung (they have inserted a tube for drainage), a separated collarbone and some road rash. He's sore, stiff and beat up but already looking for a recumbent to ride while he heals... Dave loves riding.

Injuries take a long time to heal... if ever... for old farts like me and Dave. And injuries do a number on our fitness level. Neither group nor solo riding is immune to risks. Dave will be back among us soon, I hope.

- © 2008 by Willy
.

1 comment:

Violet said...

I hope he heals well and will keep him in my prayers. I have tangled with vehicles several times myself, and it isn't much fun. At any rate, I will be back to bruising myself on a regular schedule as soon as I get through these surgeries! Stay tuned.