Sunday, January 13, 2008

Enjoying The Outdoors


It was 35 degrees and overcast when I got up this Sunday morning, and thus I did what I always do on the typical gloomy winter Sunday morning: Go to McDonald's and take time to read the paper. While eating my Bacon-Egg-And-Cheese biscuit, the sun came out in rare form, the temps rose to the mid-40's, and I gulped my second cup to go home to put my boots on. Yes, yes, I was tempted to grab the bike instead, but yesterday was windy and... well... it was the trail today.

I enjoy both solo riding and solo hiking, but given cold wind, I'll take the trail instead. It's more enjoyable than the gym and better than getting sick and having to take time off my workouts.

Even though it was a gorgeous sunny day, I only passed 3 people in the 2-hour, 4-mile, steep thousand-foot climb trail. I thought about doing more, but it's off-season and I'm used to 2-hour early mall hikes or indoor machines lately.

The birds sang, unknown critters rustled and for most of the 2 hours I fought to control my thoughts. I realized that I wasn't quite through with grieving and my thinking was not yet entirely rational, at least today. Time is my ally but I need more. I smiled, took strong full breaths and pushed forward like the human machine that I am.

- © 2008 by Willy
.

No comments: