Sunday, March 2, 2008

I, Robot


Finishing up leftover errands from yesterday took me most of the morning, which was fine, since the day had been getting sunnier and warmer throughout.

I put on last night's ragtag clothes... no use sweating up clean clothes... with wool socks and traditional Vasque leather full boots tightly laced. After breakfast with 2 cups of coffee and extra water I strapped heart rate monitor, mp3 player, camera, GPS, shades and pole, and started walking to the trailhead... why drive if I have all day to hike?

Two weeks ago, I did a relaxed 3-hour hike on a beautiful day in which all 3 hours were spent fighting thoughts rather than enjoying nature.

Today, thoughts constrained and focused on the task ahead, I started the climb. Timing my breath to the single mp3 song paced my walk cadence... short steps when steep, long steps when level, all the time keeping the cadence. My mission being to move, there was no paying attention to birds and nature today. When my breath and heartbeat became labored, I concentrated on the song and kept going like the machine that I am. Being a new trail for me, even though it's behind my back yard, I had a tendency to go slow and careful, which I fought. Towards the end, when fatigue could have taken its toll, I smiled, forced myself and found the energy to keep the cadence. No rest today. I was in pain but these were growing pains... I'd grow physically and mentally. I was again a machine at operating temperature and pressure, doing constant work. The Energizer Bunny had nothing on me.

Rock after rock, the trail continued for hours... step by step done mechanically... until the sun set.

No need for thought control today.

I did it.

- © 2008 by Willy
.

No comments: