Thursday, March 13, 2008

Start of Bicycle Commuting


It's finally reached the right conditions to start daily bike commuting to work and elsewhere. I've been monitoring The Weather Channel with bated breath: 40 degrees overnight, no initial rain and a rain forecast of 50% or less. Last night's forecast finally showed this, so I was thrilled... I had not bike commuted since October. I pumped the fat tires, laid out shell and lycra, set alarm clocks and went to bed early.

On awakening, I was as excited as a kid going to Six Flags. I flicked on headlight and blinkies, and started off down my mountain. In five minutes legs were cold but fingers were truly frozen (gloves and long johns tomorrow). Car traffic was light, there were no bugs, some birds were awake, met one walker, and had bad night blindness due to passing car headlights... but sunrise twilight started halfway into the ride.

I rode on shoulders, sidewalks and grass. The traffic cooperated when I signaled that I needed to take the lane to get to the checkpoint. A little later I waited on the shoulder for a gap in order to do a left into my bldg.

I took it easy but made the commute in the same 35 minutes it took me last year. I chained the bike to the fence, changed clothes and became a regular working stiff drinking his morning cup but with a big grin. I was happy... and appreciative to have survived the traffic one more time.

The way out had less traffic, since I left early to make a doctor's appointment. The sun was warm, traffic was light, and it was fun showing off my bike garb to the doctor's staff. But climbing up my home hill afterwards was exhausting and slow... I guess I am out of shape after all.

It sure was a great small adventure, and I hope to continue it on a daily basis.

- © 2008 by Willy
.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Sigh. We awoke this morning to eight inches of new snow. Happy Spring!