Sunday, March 8, 2009

Outside

It was bicycling time at the wildlife refuge today. Birds have been migrating and every weekend it's going to be a new show. Sandhill cranes reported the last couple of weeks, with white pelicans before that, and I wanted to see what was around today in the swamps. This is not the quick and easy bike ride, since it takes time to get there and back plus hours and hours of riding in gravel and mud, with stretches where wheels might sink to their hubs, but the payoff is good for the day-long investment.

OK, yes, it's also time for a light post after a few heavy ones.

I'm not an expert birder, but I can recognize some, enjoy all, and even take a picture if I'm quick. My buddy and me made like birddogs today and flushed out birds. Saw Coots, Mallards, Red Winged Blackbirds, Wrens, Woodpeckers, Robins, Killdeer, Gulls, Blue Jays, Hawks, Blue Herons, Egrets, and many I did not recognize. It was a beautiful day to spend in the company of birds.

-© 2009 by Willy

No comments: