Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Don Quixote In All Of Us


For most of us aging athletes, our fear is not physical deterioration but mental. Dementia and Alzheimer's seems all too common in my world. I know of no scientific study correlating this, but anecdotal evidence is overwhelming. Maybe it's because athletes live longer.



As a kid, the story of an old man fighting windmills was amusing. Books were everything then... both my escape and my reality. I learned about chivalry, loyalty and mental disease, and hoped to someday battle such a monster... windmills, not mental illness.

What did stick with me most was to avoid the impossible Quixotic goal to keep something from happening. That's crazy.

We all take away something different, don't we?

Avoid the impossible.


- text copyright 2014 by Willy.

No comments: