Friday, October 26, 2007

Happiness


Every now and then something happens and I forget what life's all about, but I know that part of the answer is happiness. Yes, there is enough happiness to go around, yes, God did intend for me to be happy, no matter what, and, yes, it's all in the attitude... but more too.


If happiness is going forward without reservation and without fear, if happiness is wanting and appreciating what I've already got (as compared to success, which is getting what you want), if happiness is liking what I do and liking myself, and still having the power of choice, then few married people are happy.


I'm happy now. Not just because I appreciate what I have, which I do. Not because I am able to hike the Grand Canyon in its rugged splendor, which I just did. But because I am enjoying the scenery of one of life's many detours.


I had grown numb waiting for the intimacy that never came, or the reciprocity that never happened. What I got instead was criticism and demands from my shallow and self-centered ex. I was insignificant to her other than as free rent. She's not what she appeared to be.


Life had been a challenge the last few years, but I rediscovered this year that happiness came down to being quietly content. There's happiness in solitude because there's nobody around to ruin it. My ex caused my happiness when she left. Wish she'd left years ago.


I now count my blessings rather than worry about our problems.


-©2007 by Willy
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Willie you're an outstanding writer---and you interleve exceptional graphics to support each theme!!! I'm impressed... Roger