Friday, October 19, 2007

Touchstones


I have a few Touchstones or constants in my life. One is me... me, my soul and my God will be with myself until I die and afterwards. Another are possessions like my 1973 Corvette, my 1971 Schwinn 10-speed and my books. A third Touchstone are my buddies and my family, not including relationships and marriages.

The Vette I ordered from the factory in Fall of 1972 and after gestation (came in 7 months later), I called it my firstborn. It's an object, but it's been there forever to the point that it's part of me. Selling it would be like cutting off a finger, same for the Schwinn. And books I've read and reread are old friends.

Touchstones make me feel comfortable. Touchstones give continuity and let me gauge both how far I've progressed, and how true I've stayed to my roots. These measurements are important functions for my mental health. I am definitely an engineer.

The two worse feelings I've had are going through my divorce in 1982 and when my fiance left me this year... but I had my Touchstones to keep me company.

In 1982 I took Vette and the clothes on my back, and started a new life doing different work in a different city nearby. Some of my buddies did not side with me due to poisoning from my ex wife. I quickly returned to town to bring up the kids when raising them became too much trouble for the ex. The poisoned individuals softened due to this and when they recognized the ex was certifiably crazy (she got social security disability). Some of these people are now part of my Touchstones again.

This year I stayed at home and work but did again lose some buddies due to the same poisoning by my ex fiance. As in 1982, the poisoned friends deserve my ex, and I truly hope they gag on her. Like in '82, some will eventually see The Truth, but I really don't care... I have my Touchstones. My family and true buddies know me well and saw through the lies, supported me and have helped both times around... although pills and psychologist were definitely needed this time and saved my life.

I went to visit the family elderly recently... which I do every year or two (have to go Touch the Stones, you know) and had the usual good time with my last elderly aunt, in a nursing home and having trouble walking. She has been downsizing for years and giving me family pictures, and now some history and stories which I taped and made into Touchstones.

I've got some new Touchstones from my latest friends. I had lunch with Charlie most days, for years and years, but he died of a heart attack in his sleep a few months back, a young man. I inherited some of Charlie's books, his kindness, and a lot of his work... and delight in knowing I do indeed have some of his own Touchstones. My good friend and mentor Walt, who is about to retire this month at age 73, taught me to be methodical, thorough and intolerant of fools... and recently gave me his Bode Slide Rule.

As I mentioned in a previous blog article, I am a melting pot of people I've met, and am proud of having their Touchstones in mind and shelf. I've seen my friends, and they are I.

-©2007 by Willy
.

No comments: