Saturday, December 29, 2007

Happiness


The pursuit of happiness? Yeah, that one.

Happiness is not the same for everybody.
For monks, happiness is abstinence, poverty, fasting and celibacy. For some people it's money and power... or debauchery. For most of us is finding love and kindness from others.

To me, happiness is wanting and appreciating what I've already got, as compared to success, which is getting what you want.

Happiness is having low expectations... by doing so, you're rarely dissapointed... and are happy when things turn out not quite as badly as expected.

Happiness is contentment, feeling secure and having no worries. Feeling less stress at work and not worrying about money. And having close friends and family.

Happiness is an attitude I must choose, a decision I make, now, and in advance. Whether I'm going to have a good day or not largely depends on my attitude and my decision to see life in that way. A driver could be an idiot, or somebody could be nasty, or just irresponsible. It doesn't matter and I don't care. Bad stuff happens... it's how I choose to react that counts.

You do what you want... I choose to be quietly content.

- © 2007 by Willy
.

No comments: