Monday, September 3, 2007

Exercise


They say that the advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier. That is just what I'm going for... quality rather than quantity... I want to be a young man at time of death, whatever age that is. I'm sure you've seen the email stating that life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming to Saint Peter... "Wow! What a ride!" Whoever coined this has expressed it well. I had a "29 Again" temporary tattoo on my left deltoid a couple of weeks ago.

Now that I'm finally free, I'm getting back in shape, centering on daily bike commuting, weekend hiking and heavy weightlifting, with some swimming thrown in there occasionally. In Winter I'll ride my new Club Spin Bike before work. Of historical concern are injuries, due to either overuse or exhaustion leading to bad technique. To deal with this possibility, I've decided to have more contact with some guys that do a good job of training, with the hope of getting feedback and coaching.

I just came in from a good ride and have discovered properly adjusted aero bars, and they are terrific! I've had old junky aero bars on my commuting bike for years, but the new ones I got for the carbon ride are day and night. It is going to take some getting used to, since lane changes about crashed me, but life is all about training and retraining! My problem with long bike rides is my butt, so I will try a long solo Century this Fall. I love solo riding now... the club had its motivation, but lately I find some riders way too chatty and annoying.

Somewhat unfortunately, I was at the bike shop looking for those aero bars at the same time Dave was there asking John, the owner, about a new expensive featherweight bike, which grabbed my ears and might end up grabbing my wallet. Dave keeps a great bike blog and is a fine fellow besides. Does me good to read him. He's usually very entertaining, makes me think, and also it's good to see that others have the same problems as I do. Sometimes riding is suicide, and I've been either paranoid enough or lucky enough to not have had a bad altercation... or maybe I've got guardian angels working overtime.

-text © 2007 by Willy
.

No comments: