Sunday, September 16, 2007

Praying



Lord, help me keep my head on straight.

What is your favorite prayer, and what do you pray for? I've noticed that there's usually three types of prayer. A lot of us pray to thank God, some ask God for direction, and some ask Him for things or actions.

The latter prayer, being the Type-A personality's favorite, is sometimes put down (don't you tell God what to do!), although some saints defend it, and it is a practical way to hope He will keep your ex away. The former type of prayer is the usual mealtime thanks for most folks (For food to nourish the body and conversation to enrich the soul, we are truly thankful).

To ask for discernment is my own constant lament, as well as, lately, a plead for mercy. These are what I pray most, in many variations. Lord, keep me on the straight and narrow, don't let me hurt somebody, etc. Saint Teresa's classic prayer (Let nothing disturb you, let nothing affright you, all things are passing) is a great de-stressor, and another variation.

When the world pushes you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray.

My plead for sanity in all things is only remarkable if you think you might have been close to the edge. And for just that I pray, amen.

- text © 2007 by Willy
.