Saturday, September 8, 2007

How I Got Out Of Depression


Or what worked for me!

I'm not a doctor, psychologist or counselor... just an engineer.

When my best friend and fiance left me, ending a 5-year committed relationship, it was a trigger that drove me deep into despondency or depression. I had become insignificant to her, but I was still heads-over-heels in love. Gave me a monster headache, but every part of my body hurt too, and I could hardly walk. God, it hurt!

First, my co-workers and buddies kept calling me, and I started to respond.

Then, I found a reason. There is an old Christian tradition that God sends each person into this world with a special message to deliver, with a special song to sing for others, with a special act of love to bestow. No one else can speak my message or sing my song or offer my act of love. These have been entrusted only to me. And thus, I had a mission.

Given that, I went to see a good psychologist, just for a few sessions. Insurance paid for half of the charges. He not only led me by the hand in this difficult time but also recommend that my doctor prescribe an antidepressant. I trusted my psychologist friend, because even I, myself, recognized my irrational thinking. The antidepressants took 4 weeks to work, and I needed that help yesterday. I wrote down what the psych said, and did what he suggested doing, too. Shrink and pills were both essential.

I continued to communicate with family and friends, co-workers and acquaintances, all who gave me the kindness I needed, but with the mindset to get over this trauma.

At first it seems impossible to do but I knew I had to take this emotional bull by the horn and wrestle him down to the ground... and only I could do this. I cried, yelled, took pills and fought my devils from the bottom of a bowl, but I had to plan to get on with my life, plan to become independent and plan to stand up with chest out. Yes, I had people helping, but it was me who had to do the work. Life IS good. I became a voracious reader of books and internet on the subjects of philosophy and psychology, and felt better.

After the grief settled, I became angry. I went for fitness hard. Began bicycle commuting to work, doing daily cardio, and lifting very heavy. I became ferocious!

And, most importantly, I kept in mind that others do not necessarily know more than I do. That is, I had to work hard to remind myself that what my significant other said and did was just her bullshit and her problem. I am a nice guy. I had to have confidence in myself. I told myself that I was going to get over this too, that I've done dam well and that I was going to shine again. At first nothing interested me, but I just kept plugging along like a machine... until I was able to have some fun, too. Came out of my shell, laughed out loud... at anything or nothing... to brighten my life.

I do better day by day. Some days I regress a bit, but that's OK, because I do better the next day.

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on!

What works for you may not work for me, and vice-versa, so look for what does work for you. You have to have patience and faith.

Good Luck!

-©2007 by Willy
.

No comments: