Monday, November 12, 2007

Secrets of Bike Commuting



My friend Dave, a very fit rider and racer to the max, asked me about my bicycle commuting to work. He's done some, but been thinking of getting serious and increasing to add training miles and reduce his carbon footprint. In his travels, he's also become more aware of the bicycle as a utility vehicle. In addition, we discussed at length earlier this year the use of bike commuting as reflection, meditation and therapy. I also enjoy being closer to Mother Nature, feeling the sun, hearing her symphony and noticing the smells carried by the wind. A good side effect is gas costs... a bowl of cereal takes me in and a banana powers me home.

I use a dedicated commuter bike... a hardtail mountain bike with XT grupo, big under inflated street tires and a rack. Pretty utilitarian and slow, but great training. I've needed this utility... times are when I've got to go off-road due to heavy scary car flow, or to bypass a car line at traffic lights and at traffic pinch points. I've had some adventures. Then there is bad pavement too, but the big, soft, 40 lb tires give me a less-jarring ride. The rack is to carry a briefcase sometimes and the heavier outer shell back home on cold days.

I bike commute when the forecast is for overnight temperatures above 40, rain forecast less than 50%, and no initial rain at start.

I take it easy in the mornings so as to not need another shower but race myself after work to the gym. I take plenty of clean clothes to work on days I do not ride (for whatever reason) and keep there street shoes, ties, comb and the like.

I assume every driver is either not paying attention or out to get me. No, I do not return obscenities.

I also use a dedicated commuter helmet. I wear headlights on handlebar and on helmet, red blinkies on seat tube and helmet. I ride thru residential areas when I can and sidewalks when I need to. Peers ask me if I worry about getting run over and I tell them I'm more worried about cardiovascular disease and cancer.

I wear bright polyprop/lycra and shades, and will add layers as winter proceeds. I never start a ride in the rain, but don't mind getting wet in the warm afternoon. I carry around my waist a wind shell or parka in a tidy small self-contained pouch or bag with built-in web belt, mostly for cold rain. Both the shades and regular glasses are RainX-ed for the afternoon thundershowers. I don't carry cell phone, Blackberry or anything susceptible to water, since I will not call anybody for a rescue in case of a mishap.

The real big secret to successful bike commuting is planning. The best I've done is about two weeks without turning a car key, which takes lots of prior planning for work and errands both. Carrying groceries on the bike is not practical for me (Popsicles would hardly make it), and dry cleaning pickup is impossible.

I highly recommend it. Hope you try it too. Good luck.

- text © 2007 by Willy
.

No comments: