Saturday, September 19, 2009

Accepting the Rain



Yes, I confess... I've been bicycling and hiking in the rain.

Yesterday I did a quick utilitarian but refreshing dozen-mile ride home from the car shop in wind and rain... and enjoyed every minute of it. Today I hiked for hours in heavy rain, and even took pictures. Like my new camera, I'm waterproof, but I do use a baggie for my wallet and worry about my glasses.

My preference when bicycling in the rain is to use Rain-X on my glasses, because the front tire will throw a continuous rooster tail of road water into my face. A nylon shell will only keep the sweat in, so I leave it and instead add another layer for warmth, and keep my mouth closed. In cool weather, I do add that windbreaker. My road bike caliper brakes just don't work well lubricated, so I keep my speed low. Of course, the blinkie is absolutely necessary.

My preference when hiking in the rain is to use an anti-fox cloth on my (other) glasses (Rain-X makes this product too), but use a small umbrella to keep me warm but allow my sweat to escape. The umbrella also brushes aside wet branches and any lingering spider webs. If I'm rock hopping, I need a visor to keep the rain off my glasses instead of the unbrella, because both hands need to be on rocks. And in cool weather I add the shell. After my wet and tough White Mountains rock hop hike, wet home turf is a walk in the park. We mostly have dirt on our trails (with some bear poop), unlike the rocks and roots which seemed exclusive in New Hampshire.


Come to think of it, I did not see a single mushroom in The Whites. Here in the South, they grow overnight, like spider webs do across trails.

The alternative in rain is to use my home cycle or the gym... but being outside is a lot more fun. Outside versus inside? Daaah!

- © 2009 by Willy

1 comment:

Violet said...

OK, I admit that I like biking in the rain also, IF it's a nice rain and not a torrential downpour and it's warm out. But it's also more dangerous because drivers are distracted and not watching for bikes--so be careful, OK?

Signed,
Your cyber-mom