Friday, September 18, 2009

Raining Acorns



No, this is not about ACORN, the political activists, although, certainly, they've finally gotten caught with their pants down and are all over the news. Unusual is that this actually made it to the mainstream network news... but after Fox exposed it. Competition works.

This piece is about our wonderful hickory-oak forests. This is the time of year in which their acorns fall. If I'm lucky... and I was last Sunday... the woods are noisy with acorns falling like rain, and the trail peppered with them. The time window is very small... I expect the woods to be quiet this weekend... and what is wonderful is the predictability year-to-year. I hate surprises.


The same is true for some wildflowers, with a blooming period being usually small but predictable. There are exceptions: my back yard has had Maximilian’s Sunflower blooming since mid-July, and they continue on, in an interesting rotation. They are beautiful.

I love this time of year, since fall brings gorgeous color. But then, I love the summer heat, the winter cooldown and the spring thaw too.

- © 2009 by Willy

1 comment:

Violet said...

For me, this time of year is bittersweet. I love the warm days and cool nights, the colors changing on the trees. But with it comes the realization that winter is not far away. And in Michigan, winters are wicked. Sigh.