Friday, May 29, 2009

I Strayed


I have some wonderful friends.

I've had a support system for many years. For thirtysome years I've had the same mentors. For twentyfive years I've used a dry cleaner. For twentyone the same lady has cleaned my home. For seventeen I've lifted with the same trainer. For the last dozen years I've seen the same massage therapist. For the last ten the same fellow has cut my grass.

The same is true for other friendships at work, gym and elsewhere. I maintain close contact with many friends, meeting over coffee, bicycling, hiking or just visiting. These are strong bond friendships, which have lasted me far, far longer than any intimate relationship or marriage... and about as long as my oldest machine. I've continued to be blessed by receiving wonderful new empathetic, caregiving friends.

I've been no island. I do need others. I am not really as independent as I fantasize, nor as afraid of people as I thought.

Unfortunately, having the typical "guy independence" has backfired... I just hurt a friend's feelings because I did not ask her to help. It felt like I was being unfaithful to my wife (oh, well... another guy screws up again). I've got to say "Yes," and make it a resolution to ask for and accept help, accept compliments and accept whatever others offer to give me. I'm not the only giver.



- © 2009 by Willy

No comments: