Sunday, May 10, 2009

Retirement?


My backyard is full of wildflowers, of all kinds, from March to October, with Indian Pink out now, next to fading Rue Anemone and Common Violet. It starts with the Daffodils, followed by the Periwinkle and Bradford Pear. The Elderberry tree flowers right at tax day every year.

From my front porch I watch beautiful sunsets most of the year. There's nobody around at home to bother me, but all year long the wild birds I feed adorn my deck as well as my bike-commuting route, along with squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, skunks, turtles, foxes, deer and the occasional snake. I'm healthy and fit enough to hike, bike and lift, and do so, although much more so on weekends, so that I'm glad when Monday rolls around so I can rest.

Since I've been in the same line of work for 38 years, I get a great sense of accomplishment and enjoyment out of my contributions and the busy days. I'm old and up enough so that I do what I want... although I aim to serve. I enjoy my work and my peers and I bring in cakes to enjoy celebrating our birthdays.

I have breakfast or lunch with good old friends on a regular basis. I love machines, so I have 3 cars and 4 bicycles which I use regularly. I fly some for business, have regular adventure vacations, and visit family. A day seldom goes by without having given me many smiles.

Why in the world would I want to change this?

Retire? Retire from what?

And marry? Yeah, right.



- © 2009 by Willy

1 comment:

Violet said...

I can't see myself retiring, either. And you have given me the title of my new blog--UNcommon Violet! Thanks Willy!